Former Product and Trading Director at ASOS
Marias has over 30 years experience in the fashion industry across both leading offline and online UK retailers. She is the Former Trading Director at ASOS, where she was responsible for all buying and product merchandising at the group. Prior to ASOS, Maria enjoyed nearly 20 years at Arcadia Group, previous owner of the Topshop brand, where she led Merchandising. Maria is now a Managing Director of Ann Summers and allocates products on ASOS and Zalando as a third-party brand supplier.Read moreView Profile Page
In Practise Notes
- ASC challenges
- ASC buys closer to home but buys less product and discounts less which drives higher turns which leads to structurally higher gross margins relative to offline competitors
- Online Fast fashion return rates are 40-50%!
- ASC target 70% full price sales. ASC gross margins have declined from 50% to 45% over the last 8 years, likely due to lower turns and higher discounts. Potentially the 3P marketplace could help recover margin as it requires less capital and is a higher cont margin per unit.
- BOO quality vs ASC quality
- Great comment on why online retail models are more effective than offline fashion retail
- High discounting from ASC could suggest inefficient inventory balances in H2 21
- How 3P brands think about distributing product on ASC and Zalando
... (transcript preview, sign up to read more) ...